lorenzoberardi

The Library of Babel

A Spin-off of http://bookwormshead.blogspot.co.uk

The Hare With Amber Eyes: A Hidden Inheritance - Edmund de Waal
'Hello, this is Mr Editor calling from Big Publisher, may I talk with Mr De Waal?
'Speaking.
'Good morning Mr De Waal, I've good news for you regarding the publication of your...ehm Mr De Waal?
'Yes? What's the matter?
'I'm afraid I cannot hear you very well. Are you alright? The phoneline seems to be quite disturbed...
'Oh, apologies Mr Editor. It's only my wheel. You see, I'm working on a rather minimalist bowl for the Victoria & Albert Museum.
'I see.
'You know, I'm first and foremost a potter. And then a flaneur. And then an asthete. And then a researcher. And then a writer.
'Oh, come Mr De Waal! Don't let yourself down. What I was going to say is that we of Big Publisher will be glad to publish your book entitled 'The...the Hare...
'The Hare with Amber Eyes?
'That's it! Thank you, Mr De Waal. And what a brilliant title that is!
'Well, to be honest I'm not quite sure of that Mr Editor. Are you sure that such a title will work?
'If it will work?! But of course, it will. Mr De Waal, let me tell you something. With a title like 'The Amber with Hare Ears...
'It's 'The Hare with Amber Eyes'
'Whatever. With a title like the one we chose, your book on family bibelots will sell like hotcakes. Wait and see. After all I didn't choose 'The Hare and the Embers' for nothing
'It's 'The Hare with Amber Eyes'. I think you are confusing me with Sandor Marai...
'Ah Mr De Waal, Mr De Waal. That's not the point. Now, don't let yourself down and trust me...

And trusted him Mr De Waal did. And 'The Hare with Amber Eyes' sell surprisingly well and also got a bunch of literary prizes including the Costa Book Award (which sounds perfect for hotcakes).

You may be surprised. Despite of its all but aptly chosen title, this book is a little treasure.
I was rather skeptical when I started reading the story of the once wealthy Ephroussi family intertwined with crunchy bits of history and art, but over the course of the book I changed my mind completely.

Edmund De Waal may be a world known potter, but he certainly know how to be an engaging writer and a storyteller. There is much quality and much aestheticism in this book and I savoured it with relish.

When reading 'The Hare with Amber Eyes' you will find yourself in Paris, Vienna, Tokyo and Odessa before and after the Great War and World War Two.

You will learn an awful lot on the Ephroussi dinasty (family tree included!), but - above all - you will wish to discover or rediscover the French impressionists, Proust, Austrian secessionism and Japanese art.

I had never heard of those tiny carved jewels named 'netsuke' before (that's what the hare with amber eyes refers to!) and I have to thank Mr De Waal to open up my eyes. This book works on so many levels that I cannot really give it justice in a short review.

Suffice is to say that one should read this to win over the daily triviality of a commuter's life.